Friday, December 28, 2012

Wilma Rudolph: Never Give UP


“You Must Act as if it is Impossible to Fail.” – African Proverb

Through my 20 years on this great planet Asase Yae, I have learned to trust in the power of the saying “Never Give Up.”  I was given a shirt from my aunt who this blog is dedicated to as well. Many of our ancestors whole life was surrounded around this belief and understanding. If Nana Imhotep had given up on the step Pyramid then we wouldn’t have the Pyramids in Kemet, Nubia or Maya. Imhotep is for another week. If Nana Araminta had given up on the enslaved Alkebulanians in America then there would be a lot more lost souls in my opinion and more deaths.  This great ancestor is for another week as well. I will like to introduce Nana Wilma Rudolph.

Wilma Rudolph was born with infantile paralysis because of the polio virus which is not a big problem in our society like in the 40’s when she we was born. The doctors and society labeled her as not being able to walk but this was one child who was not prepared to be labeled by anyone. I heard about Nana when I was in high school from my first teachers of Alkebulan philosophy. I have never forgotten about Nana since then and she has been a symbol of self motivation and excellence for me to follow. She worked hard for the legacy that she left behind for us to follow. No matter what situation you come from, if you are willing to create your destiny and legacy then all things is possible. Nana Rudolph was at the age of 12 when she made her course by shedding the polio disease from crippling her. She vowed to want to be like her sister who was a great basketball player. By high school, she was making great strides that so called normal born children will only dream of such as setting state records and taking her dream by the hand.

In the 60’s, Nana Wilma was considered the fastest woman in the world. She was breaking records in the Olympics and was going places that people only dreamed of. I find it fascinating that most people who are great were once considered the “scum of our society.” When a man or a woman put their mind on something, there is almost nothing that can stop him or her. I had to learn this the hard way but there is no time but then the now. Now is the time you read more into Wilma Rudolph’s story and let her story reshape your identity and destiny. She is a force to be reckoned with. Let her story be another road map for our journey.
Dedications
Akosoa Adjei
Theda Rudd
Lynette Yankson

No comments:

Post a Comment